Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Mansurovo
Where: 16.5 km from the Ambient Park Hotel, Mansurovo village (a 20-minute drive)
History
The Church of St. Nicholas, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia, was built in 1791 through the dedication of Maria Vasilievna Alsufyeva, a general's widow. The church stood peacefully for three-quarters of a century.
After the Revolution, on December 25, 1921, the St. Nicholas Church was transferred for "perpetual and free use" to the local volost executive committee.
In 1936, the church was closed and plundered. After the Great Patriotic War, the empty St. Nicholas Church was first used as a utility building for a Pioneer camp; later it housed a local club, and eventually, it was turned into a vegetable warehouse.
Only 59 years later, in 1995, the church was finally returned to the faith community, and restoration work began.
On November 1, 1996, the first Divine Liturgy was held at the St. Nicholas Church.
On November 2, 2003, Archbishop Gregory of Mozhaisk performed the Great Consecration of the St. Nicholas Church.